Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities Return to Home Page Return to Home Page Contact Us Staff Login

You are here: Home > Services & Supports > Community & Medicaid Services

Community & Medicaid Services

Photo of man sitting on front porchIndividuals with DD who can no longer live with their families receive the assistance they need to find new homes with the help of the Board of DD's Community & Medicaid Services. Often, their parents are elderly or in poor health and simply can not care for them any longer.  

We support a range of options for people to live in the least restrictive environment. These include supported living, community group homes, foster care, home and community-based waivers and various resources that allow individuals to continue to live in their family's home.  

Our community group homes serve residents in 39 different communities, and nearly 1,600 individuals live in homes of their own choosing through supported living and community waivers. The development and operation of community living options is a unique public-private venture among the Board of DD, North Coast Community Homes, a nonprofit housing development and management corporation, and more than two dozen community agencies that provide staffing and handle day-to-day operations.

Want to Know about a Provider?

If you are looking for a provider of home- and community-based waiver services, you can read the results of the My Voice, My Choice consumer satisfaction survey completed in 2004. Our provider search tool can also help you locate a provider. 

Wondering about what questions to ask when interviewing a potential provider? Take a look at these suggestions.

If You're Interested in Opening a Group Home

The Cuyahoga County Board of DD does not license group homes. Ohio no longer licenses new group homes for people with DD. We do not expect any new development of group homes in the foreseeable future.  
People with DD now get the residential services and supports they need in their own homes. They typically live with family members or roommates or by themselves. An individual chooses a home - apartment, condo, duplex or house - where he or she wants to live and the people with whom he or she will live. An individual also selects a service provider from a list of certified providers.  

If you are interested in supporting people in their own homes, you can call Provider Support at (216) 931-7474 for more information on how to become a certified provider.  

If you are interested in starting a group home in your home, you can contact the Ohio Department of Health, which licenses adult care facilities and adult care homes, at (614) 466-7713. Such homes provide personal care services and supervision to all vulnerable adults, not just those with DD.  

You can also call the Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging at (216) 621-8010 about adult care foster homes or B. J. Brown at Services to Adult Care Homes at (216) 621-8322 for more information about starting an adult care group home.  

Powered by the Information Services Center      
Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities
1275 Lakeside Avenue East
Cleveland, Ohio 44114-1129
PHONE: (216)241-8230 - FAX: (216)861-0253