Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities Return to Home Page Return to Home Page Contact Us Staff Login

You are here: Home > Provider Resources > Frequently Asked Questions

Questions Providers Frequently Ask


How do I become a certified waiver provider?

You must have eight hours of precertification training. NEON offers free training each month. Call (216) 556-0062 to register for training or go to NEON's website to see the schedule and sign up.


How do I renew my certification?

You must have evidence of at least eight hours of training annually, including MUI and Individual Rights and valid First Aid and CPR. You must also have a new BCII background check. If you have lived outside of Ohio anytime in the last five years, you also need an FBI background check.

Where can I get a BCII background check?

Your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles may offer BCII background checks. Contact them to find out. The Ohio Attorney General's website also offers listings of sources for BCII background checks.

How do I find people to support?

People with developmental disabilities have free choice of provider. Providers can post their information on the Cuyahoga County Board of DD's Provider Search Tool and can review referrals of individuals who are looking for a provider.  Upon receiving your certification email from DoDD either fax it to (216) 736-2689 or email it to We will email you a username, password and instructions.

How do I get paid?

Please contact NEON for Provider Orientation to learn how to bill for services on the Ohio Department of DD's website and the process that providers must complete in order to be paid.

Billing agents are also available to process billings for providers for a fee.

Can I take a vacation or time off?

Please work with the individual’s family and support administrator so they can identify who will provide substitute coverage while you are away. Please give them plenty of time to select an additional provider, if needed.

What do I do if I find that the person's plan isn't meeting his or her needs or if a change is needed?

Please contact the individual’s support administrator to inform him or her of the issues. Complete and submit the Revision Request form to the SA via email within 14 days of becoming aware of the need for a change. The SA will make changes to the plan as needed.


I would like to start a group home or have people move into my home. What do I need to do?

The Ohio Department of DD hasn’t licensed new group homes in many years. The Cuyahoga County Board of DD does not place people into the provider’s home. If you want to go to individuals' homes to provide their care, you can become a certified provider.

If you want to work with the Cuyahoga County Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board to become a licensed adult care home, please call Services to Adult Care Homes at (216) 621-8322. The Cuyahoga Board of DD does not place individuals into adult care homes.

What do I do if information on my profile is incorrect on the Ohio Department of DD website? On the Provider Search Tool?

If you need to change your information on the Ohio Department of DD website, go to the website and click on the gold key. Log in using your username (provided by the Ohio Department of DD) and the password you selected when registering on the site. Click on the Providers tab, Maintain Profile and Update Demographics. You can then change most of your demographic information. Additional documentation may be required for some changes.

For the Provider Search Tool, log into the tool, click on Provider Search, enter your name in the last box and click Search. When your name appears, there will be an Edit button in the last column of information. Click the Edit button and you can go in and change your information.

  • Detailed instructions for changing your provider information on the Provider Search Tool
More Helpful Resources


Powered by the Information Services Center      
Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities
1275 Lakeside Avenue East
Cleveland, Ohio 44114-1129
PHONE: (216)241-8230 - FAX: (216)861-0253